Thursday 6 December 2012

Christmas TV

It's the first week of December and, in the gaps between programmes, the main TV channels are beginning to give us those initial tantalizing glimpses of what is going to be on offer over the festive season.

It will be another week, or so, I guess, before we begin to learn in more detail about the schedules for this Christmas, but those first tasters reminded me of something that rather irritates me at Christmas time: for the want of a better phrase, I'll call it 'Christmas after Christmas'.

In a nutshell, what I mean is Christmas films and specials that focus on some aspect of Christmas (Christmas Eve, Santa, etc) ... which are then scheduled by whoever is responsible for these things on one of the days after Christmas!

To give one example, the family/children's film "Elf", a light-hearted, somewhat sentimental piece of Christmas fantasy, that reaches its climax in Santa's annual Christmas Eve activities. Last year, I think it was, it was scheduled for Boxing Day (or possibly even the day after that). But Santa is 'old hat' on December 26th! There are enough non-Christmas-specific films around that can be scheduled in that lazy holiday period between Christmas and New Year. (At the time of writing I have just seen a preview for "Elf" indicating it is being shown this year on December 9th - for which I'm glad).

Please, programme-schedulers: put anything Christmas-related on in the days leading up to Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment